  • Subject: Re: Password Validation API
  • From: "Ed Fishel" <edfishel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:17:44 -0600

>>A kludge that might work would be ...
>>
>>If the two encrypted passwords match, the password is valid; else, it is
>>invalid.
>
>If you compared the entire return value, this logic would fail since the
user-id
>is part of the encryption method for part of the value returned.  It would
be
>possible to modify your logic to a method which would work, but Leif's
program
>is a much easier way to accomplish it without incrementing the count for
failed
>attempts.

It may be possible to modify the logic as Doug suggests but it would be
very difficult because the user-id and the password are used as a pair. One
is used to encrypt the other. So since the temporary user profile has a
different object name the encrypted value that is returned will be
different for two user profiles that have the same password.

I think that using the get profile handle is the best choice because it is
easy to use, it increments the incorrect password count for the user
profile, and it audits the fact that an incorrect password was used. It
also has the advantage that it is part of the system and it will be
maintained and supported in future releases. There is no guarantee that the
glob of data returned by the QSYRUPWD (Retrieve Encrypted Password) API, or
the contents of any other internal system control block for that matter,
will be formatted the same in a future release.

Ed Fishel,
edfishel@US.IBM.COM