I always suggest you keep all changes in a CL program (I use the name RLSUPDCHG in QGPL library) and keep it current when you make alterations.  Then just run the program after a release upgrade.
Others always say to make a copy of the command in a library above QSYS, but then you still may need to recreate the command if it changes in a new release, and also the V4R5 Memo To Users suggests that that method may not work so well in future - so I guess my method was best after all !  :-)
(They do suggest using the new retrieve command exit point).

PROGRAMS THAT USE CUSTOMIZED VERSIONS OF IBM-SUPPLIED COMMANDS

Some OS/400 functions that use IBM-supplied CL commands that are not
library-qualified in V4R5 may be changed in a future release to specify
a specific library, *NLVLIBL or *SYSTEM, for the library qualifier.
Applications that depend on using their own version of commands instead
of the IBM-supplied ones will not work as they had on earlier releases.
Those applications should be changed to use the new retrieve command
exit point (QIBM_QCA_RTV_COMMAND) that allows your exit program to get
control when the command is used or the change command exit point
(QIBM_QCA_CHG_COMMAND) that allows your exit program to get control and
possibly change the command that will be used.

As for queries running slower, did you order & install the database group PTF (SF99105) ?
It tells you about that in SF98450.

4. 00/10/11 To prevent possible query performance problems after
            installing Version 4 Release 5.0, perform the following:
            1.  Order Database Group PTF SF99105 and have the CD
                available BEFORE the upgrade.
            2.  Apply Database Group PTF SF99105 immediately after
                applying the latest cumulative PTF package.

Neil Palmer      DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
50 Acadia Avenue, Ste.102                   AS/400~~~~~
Markham, Ontario, Canada.   ____________          ___  ~
Phone:(905) 474-4890 x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Cell.:(416) 565-1682 x303   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Fax:  (905) 474-4898         oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com     iSeries 400  The Ultimate Business Server

Dwayne Lindner <Dwayne.Lindner@writ.wesfarmers.com.au>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com

2000/12/19 01:14
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L

        cc:
        Subject:        Command Defaults and Query

Hi List!

Just wondering if there is any way to recover (or even save) the changed
command defaults (from CHGCMDDFT) after doing an upgrade - we went V4R3 to
V4R5 over the weekend and are now having all sorts of problems.

The other problem we have is that queries appear to be taking a lot longer
than usual....  still gathering info about that though.

Dwayne Lindner
Senior Analyst - Data Centre
Wesfarmers Rural Division
184 Railway Parade, Bassendean WA 6054