  • Subject: Re: A boost for Linux on the 400 ?
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:51:32 -0500

Don,

No flames, but I did utter your name while turning on my toaster oven !
:-)

I doubt anyone would buy a 400 JUST to run Linux (you're right, it
requires OS/400 as supervisor), but if someone were looking at running
some new NT/2000 based app that was also available to run on Linux they
may instead look to run it in a partition on a 400 instead.  Central
control & management of your systems, like the benefit offered by the
FSIOP/IPCS/INS (I hear the new official IBM name, keeping true to the rule
of making the names so long no one can remember them, will be "Integrated
IBM xSeries PC type thingy that sits under the covers of your 400 and
behaves itself or else it gets a smack upside the head from OS400") will
still be a benefit to many.

Either way, whether running Linux on a 400 or not, that article is just
another straw on the camel's back for Windows and another boost for Linux.

...Neil

Don <dr2@cssas400.com>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
2000/12/28 13:19