  • Subject: Re: What is an AS/400?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:55:48 EDT

Thanks Scott

This was a dynamite report, which will take a while for me to digest all the
points.  It is a bit technical in places, assuming that readers know
significance of this or that, when some of us will not ... it needs to have
links from each section to some kind of glossary or explanation of what is
the significance of N-way processors for example.  Without such cross-linking
from each comparison to a fuller definition, this presentation may not be
suitable for ordinary employees who need data served to them with zero tools
or zero tool training, in another contemporary thread.

Rob, if you want a high level summary of
http://www.as400.ibm.com/conslt/nt.htm

It is a D.H. BROWN white paper defining where OS/400 vs. NT are similar &
different, their respective strengths with lovely comparative charts.  The
results were pretty much what I expected, with a few surprises.

Each ranking, that I share here, has a large body of text going into the
details.

Reliability, Availability, Serviceability
400 V4R3 Good with 99% uptime & no viruses
NT 4 EE   Average

Reliability
400 V4R3 Above Average - maturity, performance instrumentation
NT 4 EE   Below Average - no methodical release level tracking

Serviceability
400 V4R3 Good
NT 4 EE   Average

Scalability
400 V4R3 Above Average 64 bit with 128 bit design
NT 4 EE   Below Average 32 bit fundamentally

64-Bit Capability & Support
400 V4R3 Very Good
NT 4 EE   Average

SMP Range
400 V4R3 Above Average
NT 4 EE   Average

Auxiliary Processor
400 V4R3 Good
NT 4 EE   Average

Internet Capabilities
400 V4R3 Average
NT 4 EE   Good

Internet Protocol Support
Both Average

Web Hosting Services
400 V4R3 Above Average
NT 4 EE   Good

Messaging
Both Good

e-commerce
400 V4R3 Above Average
NT 4 EE   Very Good

Java Support
400 V4R3 Good
NT 4 EE   Average
This is a surprise to me, that MS does not support portability, while IBM's
JVM beats MS

PC Client Support
400 V4R3 Average
NT 4 EE   Good

Internet Security
400 V4R3 Above Average
NT 4 EE   Good

Directory Services
400 V4R3 Above Average
NT 4 EE   Below Average

Data Base Integration
400 V4R3 Very Good
NT 4 EE   Above Average

Transaction Processing Reliability
400 V4R3 Very Good
NT 4 EE   Average

Enterprise Middleware
400 V4R3 Above Average
NT 4 EE   Below Average

A summary of the report is available to their subscribers free of charge.

I'd like to see UNIX & LINUX added to this chart of which is best at what
functions.

> From: Smildenber@Washcorp.com (Scott Mildenberger)

>  Rob,
>
>  Although this isn't exactly what you asked for, it may help.  It is a good
>  thorough comparison of AS/400 and NT.
>
>  http://www.as400.ibm.com/conslt/nt.htm
>
>  Scott Mildenberger

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies