  • Subject: Re: Socket Programming
  • From: "Mike Cunningham" <MCUNNING@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:29:56 -0400

I saw a lot of good answers to fix this problem so I will not repeat
them but I will add one point that was not covered.

If you punch a hole in your firewall to allow access to you AS/400 from
the internet, have the hole restricted to only allow the port your
application is using to be seen external and since this is your own code
on both sides I would suggest that you use a high port number and stay
away from some of the common ones that hackers like to sniff for.  This
would limit your security exposure a great deal.

>>> CyndiB@IHFA.ORG 07/20/00 08:58AM >>>
Hi All,

We have just delved into using sockets instead of ODBC to communicate
bewteen an NT IIS server and the AS/400. Wow ! is it fast.  We had no
problems on our test system, but we tried to go to our live system and
ran
into a problem.

Our internal network is a 10.10.x.xxx  and of course, both the AS/400
and
the test IIS box are on this network. The production IIS server is
outside
our network with a 207.70.xxx.xxx address.  When we try to open a
connection
to the AS/400, we are using the 10.10 address and it is not working.
Does
this have something to do with the NAT ?

I have only a very rudimentary understanding of routing (but I'm
learning !)
and our network guy is less than helpful.

TIA for any ideas,

Cyndi
Boise, ID
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.