  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: HTTP Server's jobs for CGI applications - RANT
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:18:43 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <eric.delong@pmsi-services.com>
To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 09:46

>      Ok, John, I don't know if your rant was directed at me or not. If
>      so, stuff it. All I did was ask how this discussion (which has

Eric, if it was directed at you personally - it would have been sent to you
privately.

>      steadily degraded into a "mine's better" religious debate) is
>      related to the AS400. This is NOT specific to the AS400, but rather
>      a school of thought for web development. At best it is "potentially
>      applicable" to web developemnt on the AS400. Links have already
>      been submitted to sites that are specific to the topic at hand.

I don't think that it is for you, or for I, to decide what is an
inappropriate topic, or when a thread has run it's course. You are free to
ignore the thread, or to take it up with the list moderator.

>      Their respective positions on the issues have been stated. What
>      left but the name calling that invariably accompanies these topics
>      of religion.

Hans and Brad may have been "strutting their stuff", but if you look beyond
that, you'll see that they were also presenting arguments to support their
respective positions. Those arguments taught me a thing or two about cookies
and URL redirection.

Moreover, while I've witnessed several religious arguments on this list in
the past, I have _never_ seen anyone resort to "name calling". Therefore, I
have no reason to believe that it would have come to that - especially from
the two people involved. They may like to argue with one another, but they
always do so with at least a minimum level of respect for each other.

>      If you wish to continue this, then lets take it off-list.

That wouldn't accomplish anything. I'm not interested in launching a
personal attack on you, or anyone else. As stated - the original message was
never directed at you specifically. In fact, I deliberately removed your
name from the post.

When I decided to click the "Send" button on that post, I accepted that my
comments were going on the public record, and if I need to defend those
comments, then I'm prepared to do that in public as well.

>      peeved,

Get over it - life's too short. ;-)

John Taylor
Canada