  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: HTTP Server's jobs for CGI applications - RANT
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:24:45 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <boldt@ca.ibm.com>
To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 09:51
Subject: Re: Re[2]: HTTP Server's jobs for CGI applications

<snip>

> >How does this topic involve the AS400?
>
> Good question!  Lots of people want to use the AS/400 as a
> web server, right?  Well, traditional AS/400 programmers
> now have a whole new set of issues to learn and many are
> only now getting up to speed.
>
> Maybe David should start a new mailing list specifically
> for web serving issues?

I agree that the list may need some reorganization.

I'm getting more than just a little bit tired of reading complaints about
off-topic discussions on this list. As if to add insult to injury,  those
complaints usually come from people who rarely, if ever, contribute anything
to the list themselves.

The last time I checked, the name of this list was MIDRANGE-L. That implies
(to me) that it is a general discussion list about all things 400. We should
be able to discuss _ANY_ issues that pertain to the AS400. And web
development certainly is an issue that that applies to any modern AS/400
developer. I for one, have been learning from this exchange between Brad and
Hans, and I would like to see it continue unfettered, until the participants
have decided that it's enough.

Perhaps what we need is a new list called MIDRANGE-ANAL. This list would
have the more stringent rules that some people seem to crave so much. Here
are some guidelines as a suggestion:

- Topics will be limited to pre-1995 AS/400 technology subjects only.
- Humour, bantering, or any other type of "community building" is expressly
prohibited.
- Any show of gratitude (ie: thank-you note) is off-topic, and will not be
tolerated.
- Participants are expected to be telepathic - so that they'll know if
another member has just replied to the same question.

While you're at it David, why not create one more list, called
MIDRANGE-ELITE. Of course, this would be a private list, accessible by invit
ation only. To qualify for entrance, one would have to display a remarkable
level of arrogance, and an obvious superiority complex. I dare not suggest
any guidelines for this particular list - that's best left to the persons of
a higher intelligence who would comprise it's membership. The benefits of
such a list will be immediately obvious to it's prospective members. They
would no longer have to suffer through the endless litany of simplistic
problems presented by the commoners on MIDRANGE-L.

All sarcasm aside, it might do well for us to remember the value that this
list provides to it's membership. You cannot buy the kind of education that
you receive here on a daily basis - FOR FREE. I wonder how many collective
years of experience are brought to the table by some of our more senior
members? Further, I wonder what it would cost me if I had to pay for that
experience by the hour? If these same members decide that they'd like to
spend a few moments reminiscing about an ancient tape drive, then by God let
them do so. If you're not interested in the subject matter, and it's too
much trouble to hit the delete key, then learn how to use your email client
and set it to ignore the thread.

Finally, don't discount the value of building a sense of community here.
What do you think keeps the most valuable members coming back? They rarely
ever post a question - they usually don't have to! Yet, they spend a great
deal of time and effort trying to help the rest of us. If you're not
interested in getting to know them as individuals, then don't participate in
the discussion(s). However, at the very least, I would expect you to
excercise a level of tolerance so that your disinterest does not deprive the
rest of us.

Sick of the whining,

John Taylor
Canada