  • Subject: Re: So if there is no Hardware specific Advertising then???????
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 07:29:52 -0400

I've had some success taking every opportunity  to promote the AS/400 within
my customer's corps (some small, some large). When IBM makes a major
announcement, like silicon-on-insulator technology. V4R5, I sent e-mail to
every pgmr, network tech, department manager, & the CEO, with links to IBM's
site, proclaiming the advancement, and the long future for the machine. The
network guys were amazed. WE know the reasons fo the AS/400. THEY don't. If
IBM's not going to do it, we, for our own preservation we better do it.
Next time there is a virus sweeping the world, casually mention to everyone
that the AS/400 doesn't get viruses. We don't get "illegal operations". DB2
is built in! Raid disk drives. We get ptf's. We don't have to re-program for
new releases, and on and on. Let "end-users" know when a new release has
features we could use. They tell management we need it!! And I am truly
amazed at the vast number of programmers who never pay attention to the new
stuff.
Finally, in a a situation where you are proposing the 400 for a solution
within your company, and someone else is proposing NT/whatever, ask the
questions that make the other side add on to their solution to make it as
reliable as the 400 (if ever).
How will it be secured? What database will it use? How will it be backed up
or recovered? How scalable (watch the end user's face when the NT proponent
admits that a second server (or more) will have to be added when volume
reaches a certain point? Is it available 24x7x365? How manay people to
manage the system? What is the 3-5 year cost? Making someone truly justify
an NT brings out all those costs that make the AS/400 look better.
Show end users/managers/other 400 pgmrs the good AS/400 web sites. They need
to see the machine can work that way.
</rant>
Jim Franz