  • Subject: RE: Performance adjustment:
  • From: "Dave Miller" <dlmiller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:49:15 -0700

Without being able to see what your setup is I would make one suggestion
that has helped me in the past.  A lot of systems are configured with large
memory pools for interactive work and smaller ones for batch.  There is a
lot of times when the interactive memory pools aren't being used 100% due to
the amount of users signed on vs. the amount of users the person doing the
tuning thought would be on at the same time.

Batch really benefits from large memory pools specially when a job is not
I/O bound.  At a client site I worked at we found that increasing the batch
memory pools helped tremendously with JDE world programs (we were at 7.1 at
the time).  in some instances it cut processing time in half...

We also tried changing the run priority but that did nothing but stop the
jobs almost.  The mix of jobs running were at 50, 55, and 60.  The 60 jobs
didn't move, the 55 jobs took 4 times longer to finish and the 50 jobs then
competed with each other no matter what we did.