  • Subject: Re: Object Authority
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:05:11 EDT

Software written for S/36 often did not take into consideration the needs of
some other platform that it might get ported to.  We moved from running our
AS/400 with SSP only (no OS/400) to M36 as a guest of OS/400 in 1997, then
moved most of our applications to OS/400.

I know IBM is taking away various options ... we had the option to do M36 or
your approach ... we studied pros & cons of each & concluded that your
approach was unacceptable for our needs ... did you have M36 available & did
you make any similar analysis to determine that it was not appropriate to
your scenario?

Our plan was that eventually our S/36 applications would get re-written to
work in OS/400 & the M36 would go away, but we have been unable to reach a
concensus on the functionality of the replacement so it has never exited
redesign stage.

With M36 we are not faced with OS/400 object rules ... the only time OS/400
security plays a role is at the instant of sign-on ... OS/400 system values
take precedence over SSP security rules when OS/400 more strict than SSP.
Although this was not the reason we chose M36 ... it was compatibility of
software tools no longer supported on OS/400, such as WSU & programs we had
lost the source code for,

There's an IBM program - I don't remember its name - it is in the security
manuals.
You run it before changing operating system security rules to identify what
areas will be caused problems because of this ... did you run it?

What security level are you operating at?

The objects that you have trouble accessing ... who do they belong to?
Is the volume such that you could give them to a group that everyone is a
member of ... I could get flamed for this, but it is a quick & dirty solution.

>  From:    keith.nolan@dubport.ccs.ie
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  We have just migrated this weekend from a system/36 to an AS/400 and we
are
> currently having some problems with object authority on our data-files.
All
> our current applications still run in 36 environment so all our data files
> are in 1 library at the moment..  When a user creates a file, that user
gets *
> all authority to it but *public only gets change Authority.  How do I stop
> this and allow *public have *all authority automatically.  I know that this
> probably sounds like a really stupid question and is easy to fix but I am
> still getting used to this system and am lost with some issues.  I would be
> grateful if someone could put me out of my misery and solve this one for me.
>
>  TIA
>
>  Keith.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor