  • Subject: Re: 24/7 questions:
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 02:16:41 -0400

Bob,

  As you say the EMC connects via SCSI so that limits the speed and
configuration options.  I would expect that the Symetrix looks like a
lot of 9337's.  Other systems will connect differently for sure but most
other systems don't have the DASD management of the AS/400 so boxes like
Symetrix & Shark are big moves forward for thos platforms.

  Shark has the same limitations for AS/400 as you say.  Expect that
some time in the future the Shark will support HSL the new AS/400 High
Speed Link.  This is MUCH faster than the current fiber links the AS/400
uses or Gb Ethernet AND has redundancy as well.

  As to swapping DASD to another system with the Symetrix that makes
sense so long as the systems are close enough. (i.e. the hardware must
be supported by the OS installed on those drives and of course the DASD
much all get connected.)   It's a fair bet that a forray through SST
after this move would show a LOT of hardware that was not reporting in!
Luckily that all gets handled at IPL time and the system comes up
anyway.  It is VERY likely that you'd need to re-map communication lines
and workstation controllers as well after such a move.

 - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         |  It's 10PM.
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |  Have you rebooted your NT Server yet today?