  • Subject: Re: 24/7 questions:
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 19:17:42 -0500

Larry,
Our shop just inherited four AS/400 system with NO DASD. All data storage is
handled by an EMC Symmetrix <sp?> storage system. As you say, it is SCSI
attached, not LAN, but I understand that other systems are LAN attached to the
same Symmetrix box.

I have investigated IBM's Shark SAN, and it as some interesting features, but it
needs more work for the AS/400 world. If they would support the AS/400's optical
link, it would be a good start, but a Giga ethernet conection might work.

One intersting point on the Symmetix. there is no load source on the AS/40s. The
load source is a virtual drive in the Symmetrix. You can electronically switch
the virtual DASD from one AS/400 to another, then IPL and the second system will
be using the same DASD as the first was. They say this works even though the two
AS/400s are different configurations! That really blows me away. Or confuses me.
What happens to the mismatches in the configurations? I don't have a clue how
that is handled. We are just beginning to work on these inherited systems, so we
don't have all of the information yet.
Bob