  • Subject: Re: 24/7 questions:
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 18:08:34 -0400

Matt,

  If you are truly 24/7 you WILL indeed need to do something to
accomplish backups.  Most likely a Mirroring product such as
DataMirror's Transformation Server(*) to another system (or LPAR
partition) that you can pause while backing up the second machine.  Even
with this solution though you will need to identify a time WHEN to pause
the mirroring or you will have a clean backup (from the OS/400
perspective) but not neccesarily from the applications perspective (ie
transactions are only partially applied).

  Network Attached storage is not really a player in the AS/400 market
yet. Currently the only way to attach non 'native' AS/400 storage is
with 6501 SCSI cards and that really buys you nothing.  Due to Single
Level Storage architechure it's not likely from my perspective that you
will see network attached storage any time soon.

  HTH - Larry

(*) We represent DataMirror

--
Larry Bolhuis         |  It's 10PM.
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |  Have you rebooted your NT Server yet today?