  • Subject: Re: "Not authorized to display joblog" while job is running
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:33:26 EDT

>  From:    Scott.Lindstrom@zenith.com
>
>  I have some programmers who get the above message while trying to display
> a production job's joblog while the job is running.  However, once the job
is
>  complete, the have no trouble viewing the joblog.

A printed joblog is viewable with *SPLCTL but other security is needed to
view the on-line version before the job ends & most non-programmers find the
on-line version to be much more user friendly.

>  The programmers have *JOBCTL and *SPLCTL, and not *ALLOBJ.
> (This may have worked back in the days when they had *ALLOBJ,
> but I sure hope *ALLOBJ isn't what's needed!)
>
>  Any ideas on why they can view the joblog only after the job has completed?
>
>  Scott Lindstrom
>  Zenith Electronics

I am writing this from my home PC - but I will check at the office &
communicate again later, unless someone else has good answer in the interim.

We are running OS/400 V4R3 security 30 BPCS 405 CD
I have designated several users as POWER HELPERS
They understand many applications

When User-A job is in trouble, whether it is interactive or on JOBQ,
they call one of the power helpers
any power helper can go into the job log & other info & get at the 2nd level
help & figure out the person's problems
These individuals do not have programmer authority, they do not have *ALLJOB
but I do not remember exactly what we had to give them to get this to work
... how I got there with them was to study the error messages associated with
refused access - 2nd level help on those messages & slowly crank up the
security inch by inch to give them as little as was needed to get the job
done & no more security than neccessary.

I vaguely remember some kind of *IO control or config that I had to give the
NT WebMeister so he could get into WRKCFGSYS address definitions, but I do
not believe it was needed in this scenario.

You might also look at the security of the user running the job you want to
look at ... a programmer cannot look at the job log of the master security
officer for example.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor

Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.