  • Subject: Re: What are a programmer's rights to what he writes?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:41:57 EDT

From Al Macintyre getting a bit off topic again

I was paid time & a half for my programming etc. work until the first major
conversion project, in the early 1970's ... My Yearly Pay hiked from $ 12,000
one year to $ 18,000 the next year, thanks to all the overtime ... and in
that year I started getting most of my meals from fast food places, because
it was eat & run - no time to prepare it myself, and I have been in that
habit ever since, except for microwaved plastic stuff.

The next year the company put me on salary with a lot of huffing & puffing
about traditional significance of this, which was (I want to use a certain
phrase here that won't get past the censors) ... I continued to average 55-65
hours a week to stay even with what everyone needed, which took me to
$14,000.00 a year, but now I was living as if my means were $18,000.00 / year
which put me in debt until I switched jobs that took me above what I was
living as if my means were.

The bottom line is, people in our profession generally get paid more than
people in other professions, and although we work more hours, do we really
deserve more, as compared to contributions by say engineers & medical
professionals?  Do other professions typically put in the hours that we do?

My sister is a high school teacher at the top of her profession, with all
sorts of national awards, yet she has to work 2 jobs (part time teaching nite
school at a University) to get a standard of living that compares to mine,
and the homework she has eats up an enornous volume of time away from the
academic institutions ... grading student papers, preparing lesson plans,
working on projects associated with academic beaurocracy, such as the fight
for superior text books for future academic years ... both the content issue
and the funding issue.