  • Subject: RE: Correlating *SAVF "records" to FTP job I/O count
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 12:25:43 -0400

Another update:

A colleague in our shop who knows the communications stuff was surprised by
slow transmissions as described earlier in this thread.  He introduced me to
the SAVRSTOBJ command, to use in place of FTP.  I don't remember seeing this
one before, but the command appears to have been around since at least V3R2.
This IBM command has a lot of the SAVOBJ parameters.  It saves the specified
objects, transmits to a remote AS/400, and restores the objects, all in one
step.  Why the heck am I using FTP?

SAVRSTOBJ took 8 minutes to run the whole thing for two files totalling
43.6MB.  Remember that this includes the SAVe, the transmission, and the
ReSTore.  The FTP for these two same files took 12.4 minutes when I ran it
last week; add more time for the save and the restore.  To compare apples to
apples, I redid the FTP, timing both the SAVOBJ and the FTP on the remote
box and then timing the restore on the target box.  The SAVOBJ took 2.5
minutes, the FTP took 7.7 minutes (almost twice as fast this time), and the
RSTOBJ took 7 seconds, basically the same time to run the SAVRSTOBJ.

So, I don't get it.  Why would anyone choose using FTP to transmit objects
across AS/400s over SAVRSTOBJ?

        < big snip >