  • Subject: Re: Regarding system power...
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 15:41:43 EDT

From Al Macintyre

Did you get this message pair one time, or are you getting it at midnite
every nite?
Do you have people working some shift that ends at midnite?

We have a factory in which there is not 24 hours x 7 days shifts operating
... when they turn on & off the power for the building at shift change, there
is one heck of a surge, which is not healthy for some computer peripherals
that are on the same power supply as the main factory.

Your "error" messages tell me that you have a UPS on your AS/400, which is
still working ... everyone should have a UPS on their CPU & periodically
check it to make sure it has the juice to do the job (battery wears out
eventually)

It is saying that the electric power from your public utility had a power
failure at
00 means midnite
0004 is 4 minutes after midnite
000427 is 27 seconds later
then there are 6 characters of time stamp detail beyond that which few people
care about
then the power was restored almost immediately, so it was a flicker so fast
that most humans would not even notice it.

If I was you, I would pull the manual on the UPS & refresh memory of what the
controls mean, & make sure that it is still in proper working order

We also are V4R3 but we have had variations on this on earlier OS4 versions

When the public utility has a power outage, the UPS takes over ... it sends
message to QSYSOPR that it has done so, then when the battery begins to run
dry, actions are taken that you have preset by your WRKSYSVAL & there may be
additional messages, and the AS/400 may do an orderly shut down.

When the public utility restores external power, the UPS checks if there is
enough battery power to have the AS/400 back up if there is to be another
power outage almost immediately ... it recharges the battery, re-IPLs the
AS/400, and puts some message in QSYSOPR logging when what happened ...
assuming your WRKSYSVAL settings are fairly standard

>  From:    stg_midrange_support@md.in.dsqsoft.com
>
>  Hello friends...
>                  We have V4r3 machine.
>  We are getting the message "System utility power failed at 000427101433".
> Then it gives the message "System utility power
>  restored at 000427101652". What is the error?.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor

Y2K is not the end of my universe, but a re-boot of that old Chinese curse.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.
When in doubt, read the manual, assuming you can find the right one.