  • Subject: Re: Tipton's COMMON opening speech
  • From: Chuck Lundgren <lundgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:40:14 -0800

Let me get this straight... Bob Tipton must prove himself worth of
criticizing IBM by appearing in non-AS/400 magazines and letter writing
campaigns? Let's look at how reasonable this is:

1. Articles in non-AS/400 magazines. Macintosh didn't achieve success
BECAUSE of positive press, it achieved success DESPITE the negative press
it has received over the past 16 years. You can make a case that Microsoft
achieved its success through the press, but keep in mind that this was
Microsoft-driven, not press-driven. Authors didn't write about Windows
because they thought the world needed to know about Windows, they wrote
about Windows because they got a bunch of free software and hardware from
Microsoft, or because Microsoft invested heavily in their magazines.

BTW, the only person who has shown he can make or break software and
hardware products by a simple mention in his column is John Dvorak. If
Dvorak writes favorably about your product, hold on, because your sales are
going to go through the roof! No offense to Bob Tipton, but outside of the
AS/400 world, few people know who Bob is. Do you really think an article,
or two, or twelve, will have any affect on AS/400 sales? Do you really
think PC Week would print these articles?

2. Letter writing campaign. I have personal experience in this one. In the
early 90s, a contingent of technical editors from Midrange Computing and
NEWS/400 (including me) went to IBM Toronto to convince them that RPG was
held back in the 1970s with silly constraints on fixed columns, tiny
variable names, incoherent indicator naming conventions, and on and on. We
brought with us HUNDREDS of letters from users of RPG/free, a free-format
language pre-compiler that was available on at least four platforms, that
went a long way in solving RPG's fundamental limitations. The letters, the
NEWS/400 articles, and endless Compuserve and Newslink discussions ---
accomplished nothing. So much for user revolts and letter campaigns!

  ... Chuck