Hi Hans -

At 09:18 AM 3/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>The bold and italics tags are rather controversial since they
>do violate the spirit of SGML.  The preferred alternatives are
>the strong and emphasized tags.  In fact, more recent versions
>of HTML deprecate those features that affect appearance and
>now the preferred way to specify appearance issues is through
>style sheets.

I'm not clear why "strong" is preferred over "b". Maybe I'm missing obvious
something here (it wouldn't be the first time <g>). As for style sheets,
they're great, but only for newer browsers.

>Tables are another controversial item.  Their original use was
>definitely to describe the structure of tabular data.  You can
>certainly use tables to suggest how the browser should layout
>the document on the screen, but in many cases you can't count
>on different browsers rendering the table the same way.  For
>example, the width tag in cells is ignored by some browsers.
>Also, cell background images render differently.  (But then,
>who in their right mind uses background images in their HTML
>docs?)

Agreed on the background images <g>. As for using tables, what most web
designers do is design for IE and Netscape 3.0 browsers and above, so it is
pretty much of sure thing on how the tables will be rendered.

  ... Chuck