On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Simon Coulter wrote:

> What we have now is a list primarily frequented by people who don't know
>things and can't even
> be bothered checking the available sources of information.  Every AS/400 site
>has manuals,

True, but like the old gray mare, it ain't what it used to be...read
further...

> I think it reasonable to expect that a system operator has read at least:

NOT TRUE!  Simon, you're input on and off the list has shown you to be a
knowledgeable gentleman of high calibre....no pun or sarcasm intended.

BUT, compliments of the great minds (LOTS of sarcasm here !) that have
turned MANY of the SUPERIOR manuals that we all came to know and love from
a fairly centralized resource (ie, ONE operators manual, etc!) into a
fragmented smattering of html that at times redifines tedium to have to
read.  Many (especially newbies) either don't have or don't know about the
frizbee's (softcopy CD's), or have tried them and gotten really
sick...and/or may not have access to manuals at work via the net because
yes there are still ALOT of shops that don't have web access for
nonessentials...and we all know that ONLY marketing and beancounters are
considered essential...OH, personnel folks of course need to be added, but
then they're "gods", at least in their own minds :)

IF we still had the hard copy resources of old, I think you'ld see alot
more exploring into the manuals....and you'd have alot of folks that would
just fumble into it cuz they turned the wrong page....not so with
softcopy.  It's  ALOT easier to just reach over and grab the book than
to play "who's got the CD this week?".....but in many shops they may not
know where the CD is IFF indeed they know that it exists....and Lord help
you if you've got a real doink for a business partner (ACTUAL CASES HERE!)
that tells you that there was not only no upgrade in the softcopy for the
release, but there haven't been any significant changes since
several ago....yes, I've had to kick some butt here...:)

Were the manuals designed so that you could EASILY print the same thing on
a laser (Yes, Al, I know you do...) and have the same look and feel
without having to print a few cases of paper to get the same manual that
was only a few inches thick due to design changes, you'ld have alot more
folks doing it....provided their managers let them or they just did it
after hours or during company meetings...:)

And, speaking of manuals, how about putting the Diagnostic Aids manuals on
the generally available CDROM...it's on the CE's CDROM so the work's
already been done...

I could go on here, but I'm alot more interested in watching professional
sock matching on ESMN....:)

Again, Simon, this list is better off because of your contributions over
the years and I hope you continue...:)

Don in DC