  • Subject: Re: Errors on Token Ring line
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:33:10 -0500

Larry,

>  Hmmm. Generally speaking transfers should be similair in both directions.
>Some
>factors involved besides MTU, LAN speed, etc are that the AS/400 may be doing
>ASCII EBCDIC tanslations, and other work depending on where the file is stored
>on
>the AS/400.

These were timed using binary transfer of SAVFs, so no translation was
occurring in either direction.

>  It is likely there is a memory shortage or other configuration on the PC T/R
>adaptor.  Once set that large the PC driver probably isn't connecting to the
>network correctly at all.

Sounds plausible.  I don't have the docs on these PCI adapters, so
I'll look on IBM's website for limitations.

>line that way only traffice attempting to find *MAXTHRPUT lines will travel
>across it!  This does NOT change the line to run any faster!

And in fact, it got downright slow!  Zero bytes per second to be
exact...

>  Well, I agree that faster is better!  Chances are though that with only 5
>devices on the net its utilization is likely under 2% average. Thus the bigger
>packets (8K to 16K) would only yeild very marginal improvements.

Well they certainly made my download speeds (400 to PC) more than
double (close to triple), and improved the upload speed as well.
Maybe the PC T/R card can handle 16K receive packets but not 16K send
packets??

>  Sorry I can't be more help!

Thanks