  • Subject: Re: Errors on Token Ring line
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:35:43 -0500

>  Line TRN01 status information, line is running

Chances are you have the maxframe parameter on one or the other AS/400 set too
large.  On a token-ring you can go as high as 16393.  If you have systems
communicating on a local ring these huge packets can really boost throughput for
large file transfers (including spool files).  They won't affect things like
Telent a whit.

If your AS/400s are connected via routers then you should endeavor to set the
frame size to one that matches the routers WAN frame size which is likely 1500
(use 1466 on the T/R) or less likely is 2048 (use 1994 on the T/R).  Now routers
being the strange magical boxes that they are (and have been since WAY before
that stupid ad campaign was launched) will attempt to chop up small frames and
re-assemble them on the other end-this they will do quite successfully.  However
if the one AS/400 is sending 16393 byte jumbo frames and the other is set to
recieve 1466 byte frames, then no amount of 'router magic' will solve the
problem.

Net Net is that the two systems should have similair frame sizes or this type of
problem will occur.

 - Larry
--
Larry Bolhuis         |         What if it's True?
Arbor Solutions, Inc  |