  • Subject: Re: y2k reflections
  • From: Glenn Ericson <Glenn-Ericson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:39:04 -0500

Cranking the system date back to 1972 is not in the truest sense the solution known as encapsulation. Through the interfaces an encapsulated system would communicate with the PC Vs require a 1972 system date.

Encapsulation takes input from todays time and processing in zoned time within your system.
Zoned time meaning some 28 year increment in the past.
Then communicating with the outside world in todays time.

The process is fully reversible later if you wish . Meaning you could use those old tried and true programs in their virgin state once it is no longer necessary to cross the century boundary in quest of historical records. It could have also been used in some cases as an 11th hour parachute for those with troubled Y2K conversion efforts.

As a remediation tool it had the possibility of working in as little as 5 to 10 days . Followed by the Testing levels of your choice.

Generally, it was reported that, those that used this method were pleased and saved large sums of money, time and resources on their Y2K efforts. Many in the 400 community were apprihensive and some suggested leading experts were opposed

I see from some of the other Y2k reflections notes that it is felt
- progress was our most important under-pinning product

JMHO
Glenn Ericson,
Phoenix Consulting LLC
mailto:Glenn-Ericson@att.net

+--- | This is the Midrange System Mailing List! | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com. | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com. | To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com. | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com +---