  • Subject: Re: y2k reflections
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:43:57 -0800

nina,

I've go a 5363 running just fine.  Some date sorted stuff looks a little
funny because of sort order but all the info is correct. (I've got 3
clients running 236's and we used the window technique for their
applications and I keep the 5363 for support ... hey, it's paid for!)

I did get a call from a client that had an old PC and suggested that
they back date their machine to 1972 but they told me that the date
command would not accept a date prior to 1980.  Since they don't use it
for anything but to record entries from a scale, we determined that any
date would work just fine.

This whole exercise provided me with a good excuse for my remaining CISC
based clients: 1) they went to V3R2 2) we finally killed off some really
old S/36EE jobs they've been married to and took them 100% native.

Under tight budget constraints, IMHO, the whole Y2K issue loosened up
some purse strings to upgrade some very old equipment.  I've still got
some places with 5250's that they used on their S/34 and now serve as
system consoles for their AS/400!  (they liked the flat top for their in
basket) Geez, these things are old enough to vote!  The display is so
fuzzy you can't tell a 3 from an 8.  (So they upgraded and bought a used
3180 <g>)