  • Subject: Re: y2k reflections
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 19:54:39 EST

Nina (has never capitalized the first word in a sentence like the rest of the
civilized world) Jones,

In a message dated 1/10/00 7:22:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ddi@datadesigninc.com writes:

<<snip>>
> as a profession, did we make too big a deal over some things?  for
>  example, when david asked about v3r6, the only advice he got was to
>  upgrade to version 4 or date the machine to 1972.  nothing was said that
>  it would mostly work, and if it was only for 2 months, so what!
>
>  well, i'm running for cover now!

Run, run, Ruuuuuuun!  I'll reiterate my anger at the news media who have
characterized Y2K as a huge hoax perpetrated by the IS community at large.
Did we make too big a deal over _SOME_ things?  Sure.  Did we make too big a
deal out of Y2K as a whole?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  The advice given David was
certainly the easiest route to take, especially given that support will even
be dropped for V3R7 soon.  Do _YOU_ have the resources to test every single
aspect of the OS as it affects your business, just to stay on a lower
release?  _I_ certainly don't know anyone that does.

The media have ignored the fact that many IS professionals (myself included)
worked until the proverbial "11th hour" ensuring that Y2K _WASN'T_ a problem.
 Personally, I have avoided Y2K work like the plague to prevent being
"pigeonholed" as a "Y2K expert".  My client at Y-E drug me kicking and
screaming into it anyhow, because they prevaricated on checking out their
"live" systems for Y2K.  Said client had _ME_ working until 8PM, with a
"real" employee working until 11:30PM Friday night.  The money and effort put
in by many companies and IS professionals made Y2K the non-event that it
should have been.  The "over reaction" by the media made Y2K a tangible event
to those managers that refused to address it until the last minute.

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length." -- Robert Frost