  • Subject: Re: y2k reflections
  • From: nina jones <ddi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:36:24 -0600

> Interestingly, I have a client that went the 28-year route.  As one can
> imagine any firm choosing this solution also will have lots of old stuff
> around including old PCs.   Did you know you can't set an old PC back to
> 1972; that they go reset to Jan. 1, 1980?  They didn't know that until
> last Monday.

no, but it doesn't surprise me since their default date is 1980.

it should take 2000 as the year with the dos date command.  that's was
what we experienced.

i suppose that's the source of my beef.  we'd dated this old autofax
thru the set date command (in the autofax coding) about a year ago and
it worked fine.  our problems began when the date rolled over, it rolled
to 1980, and then the machine's software wouldn't work.  once we figured
that out, the solution was easy, and the machines are working fine now.

some salesman was telling these people their autofax wasn't y2k
compliant, and he had a machine they needed to buy.

there was a y2k problem, with the date rollover!  but in all the y2k
hype, i never saw anything about setting your date before the rollover
to avoid the problems.  the solution was you need to go out and buy
something.

on david's v3r6 machine i was curious as to what exactly v3r6 would have
problems with.  i would imagine going to 1972 would present it's own set
of problems too.  i would have like to see both options with plusses and
minuses for each!

an example was carl's machine.  he only uses it for a communications
box.  so if some specalized items don't work, so what?  we still have an
older p/c that is running windows 3.1 that we do media transfers on.
it's working fine.  i don't really care if in the traditional sense,
it's not y2k complaint.

i was not minimizing the y2k preparations.  we went thru them too,
starting in 1997.  and i never said the y2k issue was a hoax.

nj