  • Subject: Re: DTR won't come on for Auto Answer
  • From: "Gary Kuznitz" <docfxit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:59:03 -0800

Date sent:              Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:01:17 -0800
From:                   Pat Barber <MBOCEANSIDE@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>

> Gary Kuznitz wrote:
> >
> > I'm making some progress with this ECS modem I'm using  (MultiTech
> > MT2834BA).  Calling out to IBM with the QESLINE is working.  I created
> > another line that I would like to use to call into the 400.  I get a
> > connect pending but I never get a TR light on.  In order for the modem to
> > answer the
>
> The same cable & modem will work "either" way.. If it works going out, it
> will work coming in... It sounds like you got some configuration problems
> on the 400 side..

Anything is possible.

> 1. Why did you create a "new" line to call in on ??(Use the ECS line)

The software vendor wanted to create a new line.  I'd rather use the ECS
line my self.  I think all I would need to do is change it to autoanswer.

> 2. Connect pending has little to do with lights on the modem...

Very true.  I mentioned it so people wouldn't ask me If the line was varied
on and if it was in a connect pending state.  Which is obviously a
requirement before the modem will answer the phone.

> 3. I assume you only have (1) comm line ???

Actually there are two.  The other phone line is used to connect to the
internet.  The software vendor insists on calling in from their AS/400
directly to the ECS modme.

> 4. you can create any number of controllers & devices that use the same
>    line...(one at a time)

And this would certainly be better.  Some software vendors aren't open to
suggestions.  They created this configuration and want me to fix it.

> 5. Are you using the standard RS232V.24 cable ???

Kind of.  There is a special cable for the ECS line 44H7486 spelled out in
Setting up your 9401 model 150 on page 1-15.  It is an Enhanced
Communicaton Cable.  The other modem is using a standard RS232V.24
cable Non-Enhanced 44H7480 spelled out on page 1-21.

> 6. What are you trying to connect with (remote end) ???(what kind of
> modem)

AS/400 IBM ecs modem.

This is a problem before the other system ever gets involved.  This modem
won't answer any call.  In order for any modem to answer a call the TR
light must be on.

Thanks for helping.

Gary Kuznitz