  • Subject: RE: IBM Certifications
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC OASIS)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:53:16 -0500

Certification says that you have the willingness to take a certification
exam because one of two things:

1.  You know you are good, and want to prove it to yourself and others with
a piece of paper instead of/in addition to previous work experience,
references, etc...
2.  You are not sure of your abilities and want others to think you know
what you're doing.

Heads or tails.  You choose.

Scenario.  You have two resumes in front of you.  Joe is certified in RPG
and Operations, John in not.  Joe has little experience being a night
operator according to his resume.  John has 8 years experience with
Operations, Programming, and even a dash of Net.Data and CGI programming,
the only evidence of which is it is on his resume.

You can pick one, only one, and they will come work for you forever.  Whom
do you choose?
Why?
Would you have paid the other candidate the same if your decision was
different?
Why or why not?
And finally, did you make the right choice?

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools
http://www.bvstools.com