Art:
Since this is the mission of EDI Consulting Services I feel pretty qualified
to help.  Please keep in mind we do resell several translators (Sterling and
Premenos (aka harbinger EDI/400)).
In some instances, we have recommended to client that they may be able to
buy a small AS400 to run the EDI translation software.  If the software is
in excess of 50K for a large box and you can get a small 400 and the
software cost drops to 10K, it is pretty much a no brainer to get a small
box use it as a developement/EDI server machine.  Premenos supports DDM
files very nicely and the 2 boxes integrate very nicely.
However, this still may be more than you (or your client) wishes to spend.
There are several good PC products out there and we have done many PC to
AS400 implementations.  The only downsides to this approach is the AS400
database is usually not able to be directly mapped to from the PC products
and you have the extra step of moving the data between the 2 boxes.  FTP has
made the latter more reliable.
The PC product I like the best is from Eventra (www.eventra.com) and is
called QUALEDI for Windows.  It is a nice full function xlator and the tech
support is VERY good.  Keep in mind that I do sell this product also,
however did not enter into the relationship with the company until I have
installed several systems and was very impressed.  I have probably seen or
touched and even implemented several dozen PC translators and I like QUALEDI
the best.
Sorry this is sounding like a blatant commercial, if you have any specific
concerns or questions about the strategy or the products mentioned above,
feel free to email me off the list.
Regards,
Carl
Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street
Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
770-422-2995
mailto: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
EDI, Communications and AS400 Technical Consulting