  • Subject: Re: FTP 400 to 400 toooo slooow
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 01:21:24 -0800

Just a stab in the dark, but you might check the host server job for FTP, and
watch
your pool performance. It sounds like a tuning issue. I have done huge files
(800M)
via FTP over the internet from AS/400 to othe machine with good speed.
Bob

Larry Bolhuis wrote:

> > What's the speed of your slowest communications card?
>
>   Slowest card running TCP/IP is 2617 Ethernet.
>
> > What else is on the FDDI besides your 400s?
>
>   A Cisco Switch, a coupla Synoptics 5000 hub/switches and some Big NT
>Servers.
> At the time we tested there was very little traffic on the FDDI, certainly not
> enough to consume bettern 90% of the bandwidth!
>
> > If your slowest card is a 10Mbit ethernet
> > card, you are doing pretty good.  The max bytes you could put through that
> > card is about 1250 Kbyte, which includes all of the tcp/ip overhead.
>
>   How does the slowest card effect the speed of the FDDI.  In this case we
> tested using addresses that are on the FDDI only so the Ethernet cards was not
> in the TCP/IP route.
>
> >         If you are using ethernet cards, you might want to tweak your line
> > description(s) to use duplex and set your frame size to the maximum,
> > depending on what your network supports.
> > That might get you some improvement.  The max I've ever seen our 10Mbit card
> > ever do was 1063 Kbytes at 4 in the morning with the wind at its back.
>
>   ..down hill..
>
>   - Larry
>
> --
> Larry Bolhuis         |
> Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Two rules to success in life:
> (616) 451-2500        | 1. Never tell people everything you know.
> lbolhui@ibm.net       |
> +---
> +---
begin:          vcard
fn:             Bob Larkin
n:              Larkin;Bob
org:            <A HREF="HTTP://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Larkin Computer Consulting</A>
adr:            <A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Bob and Diana's Page</A>;;;Houston;TX;<A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">;United States
email;internet: blarkin@wt.net
title:          Systems Consultant
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;4104