John Carr <74711.77@compuserve.com> wrote:
>""Our management will not approve the use of RPGIV until they need to""
>Get the rest of the programmers to convince them that "They Need To"

Right now we are full tilt on Y2K testing and converting another
hospital's data from an HP9000 application to the AS/400 application
we use.  We're not about to convince our management we need to do
anything except get this work done that we need to do, especially Y2K.
There's no way management is going to want to introduce another
variable into the mix, and really, I can't blame them.

>NOBODY will even notice.  We did this one program at a time, etc.
>Now EVERYthing we touch is RPGIV,

A covert operation, eh?  Interesting idea, but as you say, you would
need to get every single programmer on board.  Somehow I doubt the
programmers here want to do anything above and beyond what we have on
our plate right now.  :-)

>BTW,  With that management attitude,  How come you still aren't useing
>RPGII ?    And I bet they are the same Management who complain about

For the same reason we're not using RPGIV, like I said before, the
applications we support are written in RPGIII.  Just to clarify, we do
very little from the ground up development.  90% of what we do is
modify, enhance, and fix applications that were bought from vendors.
Modifications we do we have to support ourselves, but when there is a
problem with code that has not been modified then the vendor has to
fix it.  Run the applications through an RPGIV converter?  Yikes!
Then the vendor would cut us loose completely.  Not a good idea.
But all of this will be moot in less than a year, when our primary
vendor introduces RPGIV code into the next release.  At that time we
will get RPGIV training and will then be able to use it.   I just
wanted to explain why we are not using RPGIV yet.

Terry Herrin
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Wilmington, NC