  • Subject: Re: Early Client Server on the AS/400
  • From: nina jones <ddi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 09:47:05 -0600

> >downsides are pure communication speed.  if your files are large, and you
>are only
> >using a little bit of data, the entire file has to be transmitted.  in some
>cases,
> >this won't work well.
>
> This isn't quite true.  Most of the overhead in DDM is purely due to
>communications line speed.  There
> is some additional overhead when using DDM between AS/400 or S/38 and the DDM
>extensions for those
> platforms are used resulting in extra data being transmitted.  The trade-off
>is reduced processing at
> the source because a more intelligent request can be made of the target
>system but it can result in
> bandwidth limits being reached sooner than expected.

> The only instance where an application may suffer additional degradation is
>when duplicate-key files are
> being processed with READE operations.  In this case the source system
>performs a READ-NEXT and compares
> the key value (much like RPG performs with partial-key operations) resulting
>in the likelyhood of
> unnecessary records being returned to the source and discarded.
>
> OPNQRYF can be used to remedy the above situation in most cases because the
>query is sent to the target
> system (using the S/38 and AS/400 DDM extensions) and the target returns only
>the result set -- much
> like SQL and DRDA.  Blocking can also be used for sequential access to
>improve throughput.

excuse me, i should have said 'downsides are pure communication line speed'.

in the early 90's we had an application that needed to be networked between
as/400.  there was a lot of
contstruction on the fly of the data, and the result was 2 minute response time
over 9600 lines using ddm.

so we used icf instead.  but remember this was 6 years ago, and i wouldn't do
it that way today.

nj
begin:          vcard
fn:             nina  jones
n:              jones;nina
org:            Data Design Inc
adr:            2408 Tee Circle;;;Norman;Oklahoma;73069;USA
email;internet: ddi@datadesigninc.com
title:          Chief Programmer and bottle washer
tel;work:       405-321-0354
tel;fax:        405-360-9202
tel;home:       405-364-8960
note:           IBM Business Partner