  • Subject: RE: Early Client Server on the AS/400
  • From: Joe Teff <jteff19@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:53:09 -0600

>>downsides are pure communication speed.  if your files are large, and you are
>only
>>using a little bit of data, the entire file has to be transmitted.  in some
>cases,
>>this won't work well.

>This isn't quite true.  Most of the overhead in DDM is purely due to
>communications line speed.  There
>is some additional overhead when using DDM between AS/400 or S/38 and the DDM
>extensions for those
>platforms are used resulting in extra data being transmitted.  The trade-off
>is reduced processing at
>the source because a more intelligent request can be made of the target system
>but it can result in
>bandwidth limits being reached sooner than expected.
>
>The only instance where an application may suffer additional degradation is
>when duplicate-key files
>are being processed with READE operations.  In this case the source system
>performs a READ-NEXT and
>compares the key value (much like RPG performs with partial-key operations)
>resulting in the
>likelyhood of unnecessary records being returned to the source and discarded.

My understanding is somewhat different here. I started off by providing DDM
access to a Salesman file for
system A when the file actually resided on system B. It worked great. It was
used to provide a name to
go along with a Salesman Number on an inquiry screen. Then pretty soon they
wanted to use it to
validate Salesman numbers for an entry screen. Again, it worked like a champ.
Then they wanted a
lookup window to pick the Salesman from. Here is where the performance went to
hell! DDM is built
for record at a time access and not multiple records. I switched to APPC
communicvations and the
performance improved 700% - 800% (this is not a typo). With APPC, the overhead
is incurred once when
the communication programs are started. With DDM, the overhead is incurred on
every record. As long
as you are doing a single record, DDM provides an easy way to accomplish your
task. As soon as you
start to access more than a single record, you really start to pay a price.
APPC programming is more
complicated than DDM, but not impossible to learn. I learned how to do it at
COMMON. Alan Olson
gave me everything I needed in a 2hr session to go back to my job and implement
APPC in my programs.
This all happened several years ago, but I don't think DDM has changed that
drastically. APPC offers
several other advantages including sending multiple records in a single
transfer, sending a subset of
fields (only the ones you want) and mixing records from multiple files (order
header, corresponding
order detail, order comments, etc). SQL stored procedures is very similar as I
understand them.

Joe Teff

application/ms-tnef