  • Subject: Re: Work remote
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <omudi1b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:37:35 -0800

Hank,

My company has been around since 1977 going up the S/3 evolutionary ladder.
When
the S/36 came out we restructured to operate more like a CPA or law firm.  The
"house" would develop a line of applications, build name recognition and cover
certain costs, but each individual would earn whatever based upon their skill
set
and self motivation.  The revenue split was 60% to the generator of the revenue,
30% to the house and 10% to the shareholders.  This worked pretty good.

We stayed focused on results more than process so remote working was encouraged.
We did learn that some people needed solitude to concentrate, some needed a
group
atmosphere to kick around ideas.  Most needed a little of both.

When the AS/400 got rolling, as a company, we decided not to port our S/36 code
and again restructured the organization.
We fired everyone.
We hired them all back again as subcontractors.  Some preferred the W2 status
and
went elsewhere, the rest we took through a little training course on how to
have a
successful home based business and we divided up our client base.  To avoid the
IRS from viewing our relationship as and employer/employee, the now
subcontractor
direct billed the client for their time.  The "house" did project management,
equipment sales and billed separately.

What all this is leading up to is that their may be a cyber coding position in
the
future.  We became the "clearing house" you mention. But project management will
always need someone who occasionally shakes hands with the client and the coder.

James W. Kilgore
email@james-w-kilgore.com