  • Subject: RE: 5010 tape drive question..
  • From: Neil Palmer <NeilP@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:08:21 -0400

Well, Mike's right about new cartridges shedding excess/loose oxide the
first few passes, and therefore in theory you may need to clean the
tape drive a bit more often the first few times you use new tapes - BUT
- the 'clean me' light on some drives (and the QIC-5010 (6385/6345) is
one of them) is turned on strictly based on the number of hours of
usage of the drive, regardless of how dirty the head is or isn't.  When
the QIC-5010 was originally released I believe the # of hours between
cleanings was set to 40.  IBM noticed a few more read/write errors than
they cared for and later microcode PTF's for the QIC-5010 changed the
time between cleanings to 8 hours.  I think that may be going from one
extreme to another, and maybe they should have chopped it to around 20
hours, but it sure helps with sales of cleaning tapes    :-)

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 731-9202          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server