  • Subject: RE: Certification
  • From: "Weatherly, Howard" <hweatherly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:43:09 -0400

Yes Nina, there is! we call them Programmer Analysts

___
Howard Weatherly

hweatherly@dlis.dla.mil
howard.weatherly@ctg.com
hweath@ibm.net

X4324

 <<Re: Certification>>

> Wouldn't a CPA exam be too broad?  What if someone was only doing
certain kinds of accounting?

> How well would it measure their capability in that one field versus
degrading them for not knowing all
> the fields?  Requiring a podiatrist to pass the medical exam with
questions that don't apply to his field
> would be like requiring a RPG programmer to be able to answer
questions about SEU even though that is not
> the editor they are currently using at the moment.  Wouldn't this
just measure their  ability to pass
> tests instead of actually getting the job done?  Couldn't the same
be said about many
> of the other exams?  Isn't this an argument being used against RPG
certification?

yeah, that's true.  there were many areas i crammed for on the cpa
that i'll most likely never use.  but it
was good experience to learn about them, and there have been times
that having the knowledge has proved
useful.

but that brings up a point.  a cpa is a certified public accountant -
and the public part means that you
are expected to know some about all the range of topics a client may
ask.

but in programming - there isn't a certified public programmer, is
there?

accounting is a great deal about knowing the rules. in some cases,
knowing the rules and legal ethics can
keep you and your client from jail.

programming is more logical skills.  and knowing the rules.  but if
you know the rules, and you can't think
logically, you're not going to be a good programmer.  period.  and a
poor programmer can cost their clients
much in grief, business, and more.  do they test for logical skills?
i remember the programming apptitude
test i took way back when, where we picked out patterns, etc.

interesting food for thought..

nj, cpa