  • Subject: Re: Thin Clients and the AS/400
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:47:42 -0500

1)  Why use Notes on the NT IPCS instead of Native on the 400?
2)  We have some users here who are using Notes via webbrowsers.  Notes has
templates you want to apply against
their Notes databases to make them more browser friendly.  Also there is/were
some limitations.  Forwarding a message
was one that was unable with the browser.  One user, who'll I'll classify as a
frustrated Dilbert, (several networked PC's
 at his home, assigned the oldest PC in the department), had to use the browser
because his PC wouldn't run Notes
without crashing several times a day.  He detested the browser and was somewhat
grateful when this situation was
resolved.  Other people get their jobs done and don't give a rip.  Figuring out
how to do personal address book
maintenance was a trip.
3)  How often do you have to call in for support on Netstations?  Frankly IBM
support on Netstations is the pits.  I
highly recommend their support for all other areas except this.  Don't expect a
call back within 24 hours.  If you
open a problem via the Internet do not expect them to be able to read.  Don't
bother marking the preferred
response as Voice, it ain't going to happen.  That's okay anyways because the
first response is going to be a
recommendation that you upgrade your netstation to the latest release (not
really a bad idea) even though
you have a dozen other 400's running the same version without the problem.
Then they'll recommend a PTF
called SF99082.  This is to slow you down because it can only arrive via
courier and they don't have a clue
as to what, if any, PTF's on it will address your problem.

gfeinste@planethollywood.com on 09/22/98 02:30:39 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet