Hi I am trying to get Perl with additional modules to work on the S/400. If
you have any Perl knowledge then read on.

First the background, I have managed to get the Perl5 port loaded onto the
400, I then ran a test script published on the AS400 expert online web page
(http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/workshop/webbuild.htm Drill into 'Tools
and Resources' then Perl). The first few lines I've pasted below.

print "\nAS/400 MKS Perl Port Test Log - die tests\n\n";
chdir("/QOpenSys/rd/src/perl/t");
print "/QOpenSys/rd/src/perl/t/io/dup.t\n";
system("call pgm(perl5/perl) parm('/QOpenSys/rd/src/perl/t/io/dup.t')");
print "\nAS/400 MKS Perl Port Test Log - failing tests\n\n";
chdir("/QOpenSys/rd/src/perl/t");
print "/QOpenSys/rd/src/perl/t/base/lex.t\n";

This seemed to work without any real problems, which tells me that the Perl
environment is installed (I think).

Onto the problem, I'm trying to install several DataCash perl modules.I
extract these files onto the the 400, does the location matter ?. I've put
them at the same level as the perl5
directory('QOpenSys\usr\local\lib\DataCash...'). Within this zip there is a
readme containing the following install instructions

Build/Installation:
    Standard build/installation supported by ExtUtils::MakeMaker(3)...
        perl Makefile.PL
        make
        make test
        make install

At the 400 command line, I CD into the directory containing Makefile.PL,
then try the command

CALL PGM(Perl5/Perl) PARM('Makefile.PL')

It then runs the script, giving the following messages
        Checking if your kit is complete...
        Looks good
        Press ENTER to end terminal session

This seems OK, but when I do hit ENTER to come out, I get

Application error.  MCH3601 unmonitored by PERL at statement 0000000018, ..

I then expand into the error (F1) and get

Cause . . . . . :   The application ended abnormally because an exception
occurred and was not handled.  The name of the program to which the
unhandled exception is sent is PERL GV gv_fetchmethod. The program was
stopped at the high-level language statement number(s) 0000000018 at the
time the message was sent.  If more than one statement number is shown,
the
   program is an optimized ILE program.  Optimization does not allow a
single
   statement number to be determined.  If *N is shown as a value, it means
the
   real value was not available.

I then expand further (F10) and get

3>> CALL PGM(Perl5/Perl) PARM('Makefile.PL')
    Pointer not set for location referenced.
    Application error.  MCH3601 unmonitored by PERL at statement
0000000018,
      instruction X'0000'.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Are there environment settings that
need to be in place? Is there something that I've missed? Are there any
peculiarities of Perl on the 400 that I should know about?

2 - Example Perl Scripts

I am new to perl, so forgive any silly questions. But am I correct in
thinking that my Perl script will throw out a web page, and interpret the
posted response. If this is the case, do you have any examples of a perl
script that produces a simple web page with some edit boxes on it (Where
the users are going to key in).

Thanks Bleddyn