Hi, Guy:

I really don't follow your logic here... please explain:

To: MIDRANGE-L <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com> @ INTERNET
cc:
Subject: Re[2]: Restoring QHST* files.

>    Mr. Barsa is indeed correct.  When I do a SAVSYS, I use the *PRINT
>  output option.  Nothing in that report looks like a QHST* file.
>  However a DSPTAP with a *SAVRST shows the QHST* files.

Since you say that the files can be seen in *SAVRST format from a DSPTAP,
why does it follow that you cannot restore them using RSTOBJ?  To me, it
indicates that you can.  It is true that SAVSYS OUTPUT(*PRINT) does not
print all of the information that SAVLIB OUTPUT(*PRINT) or SAVOBJ
OUTPUT(*PRINT) does; however, that doesn't mean that the objects aren't
saved.  In fact, if they weren't, how would the system _ever_ be brought
back in the event that you had to use those tapes?  SAVSYS _does_ in fact
save all of the objects from the QSYS library, in *SAVRST format, and
they _can_ in fact be restored via good ole RSTOBJ.

There was a period of time in the past where we needed to scan through
all of the QHST* files for a period of 6 months (looking for some
particular pattern which [by the way] we were able to find).  We did this
by restoring all of the QHST* files from the SAVSYS tapes from that time
period.  (At this site, a SAVSYS is done weekly; QHST* files are kept 10
days.  That way, we don't miss any of them.  In an environment where
SAVSYS frequency is greater than QHST* purge frequency, I would agree that
it is a good idea to SAVOBJ OBJ(QHST*)... on a regular basis.)

I have had occassion to restore QSYS commands and files that were
accidentally deleted or changed in the QSYS library.  If that ever happens
to you, you will be very happy to know that it does _NOT_ take an OS reload
to get them back.

Pardon me for stepping up to my soapbox.  It's just that when someone
tells me "you can't" do something I have done many times, it makes my
blood boil.

  (The following signature looks right only with a fixed-pitch font)
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*      _                                                      _       *
*  _ / /                  Dennis Lovelady                     \ \ _   *
* ( ( ()    _      Unix / AIX System Administrator       _    () ) )  *
*\         /            Dennis@Lovelady.com               \         / *
* \       /          Dennis.Lovelady@KEMET.com             \       /  *
   [[[|]]]               Simpsonville, SC.                  [[[|]]](  *