Hi, John:

I also prefer the SQL option (call me biased), but long-term locks held
by other users are going to be in the way.  Also, in a high-usage or
commitment-control environment, the UPDATE statement may have a lot of
difficulty traversing the file.

(This is not meant to take away from Walden's very nice suggestion; just
to clarify the reason for my approach.)

I don't know what I misstated in my previous message to make this so
confusing, but the only potential conflicts that would be caused by the
approach presented by the approach presented there, would be when the
CHAIN is executed.  (If using commitment control, COMIT would immediately
release that lock; otherwise, it will automatically be released.)

I don't have the original message anymore, but the way I _should_have_
presented it is basically as follows:
  LOOP
    READ (INPUT ONLY) the file
    TEST to determine if row needs to be updated.  IF yes, then
        CHAIN (I/O to the same record
        SET UP the fields for update
        Update the record
        (COMIT) - I know I didn't include this before
    End-if
  UNTIL end of file

I don't see a lot of conflict possibility here, unless we are going to
be changing a large percent of the rows.  In any case, there are less
here than the SQL UPDATE will confront.

Read again, below, where the major complaint is that the process is "a
really quick way to read the file."  If the *real* problem is that it is
too fast, maybe the UPDATE statement would better suit the need.

(running, ducking, hiding)

  (The following signature looks right only with a fixed-pitch font)
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*      _                                                      _       *
*     / )                                                    ( \      *
*  _ / /                  Dennis Lovelady                     \ \ _   *
* ( ( ()    _      Unix / AIX System Administrator       _    () ) )  *
*\         /            Dennis@Lovelady.com               \         / *
* \       /          Dennis.Lovelady@KEMET.com             \       /  *
   [[[|]]]               Simpsonville, SC.                  [[[|]]](  *

John Carr <74711.77@compuserve.com> on 10/12/97 11:37:36 PM