  • Subject: Re: Trigger PC Job
  • From: Mark Bauman <mlbauman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 07:49:19 -0500 (CDT)

Venu Gopal,

Excerpts from mail: 7-Aug-97 Re: Trigger PC Job "Venu Gopal"@countrywide
(524*)

>      Thanx for the reply. I tried RUNRMTCMD. But it failed. I gave the IP
> address and UserID and Password with the remote command. The error I got is

> " A remote host refused an attempted connection operation"

>      What is this error?

This reply usually means that your PC host either does not have the
REXEC daemon running on the port RUNRMTCMD is attempting to connect to
or the PC has not been configured on the TCP/IP network.  Try one of the
following:

1) Start the REXEC daemon on the PC.

2) If you are using a remote domain name server configure the PC host
name and associated ip address on that system OR add the PC's host name
and associated IP address to your local host table.

Excerpts from mail: 7-Aug-97 Re: Trigger PC Job "Venu Gopal"@countrywide
(524*)

> Also I did not understand what exactly you mean by
> " the PC (remote Server)  must be running a rexecd (remote executing
> daemon) in order for the RUNRMTCMD to work."

>      Could you please explain me in detail. Thanx in advance for the help.

The RUNRMTCMD is a client implementation of REXEC.  REXEC is used on
UNIX systems for remote command execution between 2 systems.  In order
to run RUNRMTCMD you need to have a server (or daemon) running on the
machine you are attempting to send a command to.

NOTE:  I just saw Neil's message in response to your subsequent posting
on the midrange.  Neil has posted an excellent note that also answers
your questions - only in better detail than I was planning to do.
However, there is one small correction.  Neil writes:

Excerpts from mail: 7-Aug-97 Re: Trigger PC Job Neil Palmer@NxTrend.com
(7133*)

>  It appears the RUNRMTCMD for a PC running CA/400 will ONLY
> work with an SNA connection.  The TCP option is for Unix systems only.
> (You COULD connect to the PC via AnyNet).

CA/400 is shipped with server remote command support that will run over
TCP/IP or over SNA. The TCP/IP CA/400 remote command daemon is written
to Winsock and is started by CA/400 with a program called CWBRXD.EXE.
You DO NOT need to use *SNA on the RUNRMTCMD to connect to the PC if you
have your CA/400 connected via TCP/IP.  The information unit Neil
extracted from IBM Technical Q&A support also has it incorrectly stated.

By the way, for the SNA CA/400 remote command daemon, run the
AREXECDW.EXE or AREXECDN.EXE

(I don't use CA/400  so I asked CA/400 developers for the above information)

HTH,

Mark L. Bauman