  • Subject: Re: Sources for External Data Structures
  • From: "Roger Vicker, CCP" <rvicker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:04:47 -0500

John Carr wrote:

> Roger
> I don't think the problem is so much that it won't recognize *PRTF files
> much as it is the fact that it only sees fields defined with a type of INPUT
> or BOTH in the DDS.  Try and use a Display file(Single format) as a test
>  which has all three types (Input, Output, & Both) of fields and see which
> ones show up.

I have used *DSPF in the past but never really played with it to
discover that it needed at least INPUT usage. I should have guessed as
much since another of my peeves is that you cannot rename a file's field
except on the I-Specs which only works if the field is at least input.
(I know, PREFIX but that is for all the fields.) No way to rename an
OUTPUT only field.

> Personally
> Before we get *PRTF's implemented in RPG, I would rather see (for 10 years
> now)  getting my externally defined data structures Initialized from the
> values from the DDS  DFT (Default value)of each field implemented!!!!
>
> TORONTO are you listening?  IBM has been talking of pushing the business
> definitions out of the language and into the data base where they belong
> (Triggers, RI, ETC) However they have forced us to HARD CODE initial values
> for variables(data base entities) in our programs.

I second this but, still want the ability to override in the D-Specs.

> And while I'm on the subject,  Why can't we "override" some of the
> characteristics of variables which are defined using the LIKE keyword.
> DDS lets you change Length, Type, ETC. while using the REF or REFFLD
> keywords!!!  Why can't I use the LIKE keyword (referring to a Packed
> Numeric) and say in this Instance I want it to be Zoned Decimal ?! ETC.
> Hans???? (ya know we should be able to)

I REALLY REALLY SECOND THIS ONE. There has not been an <acceptable>
explanation why this is not possible. Also, why can't we specify an
externally defined field on a D-Spec with the only intent is to change
the internal storage type (packed to zoned to binary...)? I can accept
that you can't change from numeric to string or string to date.

I have programs where a field is in multiple formats (*PF=Packed,
*DSPF=Zoned) and may or may not also be in a data structure. If this
field is passed as parameters between programs (not CALLB) it may not
work. Some programs it is internally Packed, some it is internally
Zoned, and I (the PROGRAMMER) have no programmatic way to control it
without explicitly stating everything (and having to manually change the
source code if the base field changes) and moving the data around.

> John Carr CDP
> EdgeTech

Roger Vicker, CCP

--
*** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte ***
In adversity remember to keep an even mind. Horace (8 BC)