  • Subject: Sources for External Data Structures
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 26 Jun 97 21:15:20 EDT

Date:   6/26/97  6:50 PM

RE:     Sources for External Data Structures

Hans

I am sooooo happy for the two(or is it three) people in the world that have
a dire need for variable length/graphic fields in their programs.
    (Maybe the same two that desperatly needed RPG/370)
As compared to the hundred's of thousands of programmers who have a need
(like yesterday) for not HARD CODING IN EACH PROGRAM WE WRITE initial
values for subfields when the data base ALREADY KNOWS what I want.
(Who the heck took it out, Wait till CUDS at COMMON!!)

As you know,  When we write a maintenance program against a file(maybe
from a package) that has 50 - 500 fields each with their own default
value,  It would be nice to have an externally defined data structure
which we could just say RESET and have the DFT values be initialized
correctly for the next record add.  Without hard coding those values
in each program.  Of course you have heard this many times. sorry.

The other things are great, and needed,  Don't we aready have INDDS by
using INDARA in the DDS?

>John Carr CDP wrote:
>> Personally
>> Before we get *PRTF's implemented in RPG, I would rather see (for 10 years
>> now)  getting my externally defined data structures Initialized from the
>> values from the DDS  DFT (Default value)of each field implemented!!!!
>>
>> TORONTO are you listening?  IBM has been talking of pushing the business
>> definitions out of the language and into the data base where they belong
>> (Triggers, RI, ETC) However they have forced us to HARD CODE initial values
>> for variables(data base entities) in our programs.

Hans wrote