Re your comment that the "X2" technology takes advantage of the way the
phone system works.  That's correct, however for anyone who may make
international calls out of North America, the phone systems in many other
countries (eg. all of Europe) work differently, and you could not call with
a "X2" modem to them.  As I understand it, there will be slightly different
"X2" modems that will work WITHIN Europe for example, but you won't be able
to call between countries with the different phone systems.
(No big deal for probably 99% of those who would buy one).