>> There are TAATOOLS (when they were still free in QUSRTOOL) that
>> broke at different release levels, unless you recompiled the new
>> source for them that came with that new release. Although, granted,
>> they never used really 'undocumented' stuff.
>
> Before there were all the system api's, I can see the tool code breaking,
> but what v5r1 tool would be release dependent and why?

I don't use TAATOOLS, but this is straight from their website;

"I am planning to upgrade our OS/400 software. Do I need new TAA
Productivity software?

We recommend that you order a software upgrade for the TAA Productivity
Tools software as part of any OS/400 upgrade. The TAA Tools work very
closely with the operating system and are more likely to be affected by an
upgrade than most other software. In some cases running the backlevel
version of the software will not cause problems, but it depends on which
tools you use."

I think that supports my argument quite well.

> You are forgetting "and compatibility". MI helps prove my point. You can
> code low level and still be release and hardware independent.

Until they block yet more instructions ;-)

> I dont think we have any choice.  If your utility or api does not work
after
> an upgrade, than it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

As stated above, TAATOOLS suffers from this and they seem quite successful,
and they're not the only 3rd party software vendor that have this problem
either. BTW, OS/400 suffers from the same problem too - sometime it doesn't
work after a release upgrade does that make *it* more trouble than it's
worth !?!

--phil

[ Deleted uuencoded file 'winmail.dat' ]