I absolutely do NOT lump all vendors together.  Just the ones that call me
unsolicited.  Greg, since you're a salesman who seems to obey the rules,
what can you tell us about the contact lists that vendors can purchase to
make cold calls?  Would the vendors who called me know how my name was added
to the list?  Can vendors who buy these lists specify the "quality" of the
leads?  Perhaps be able to explicitly request no contacts that did not "opt
in" somewhere?

> I believe that there is a solution for everyone, many needs can be handled
> without investing in software, others may be better off by acquiring an
> application that solves the problem and pays for itself through time and
> effort saved.  The worst you will get from me is a response to
> the list and
> possibly a phone call (if your number is included) that follows up on a
> specific question posed to the list - and quite often, not even that.

This is the way I believe the list is supposed to function.  Real inquiries
(as opposed to "planted" inquiries -- I've seen that on other lists before)
sometimes give a vendor a legitimate reason to respond ON LIST with the
offer to make contact privately.  Phone calls must, IMO, ALWAYS follow the
potential customer's EXPLICIT request for contact.

> <sales mode on>
> Momentum Utilities is the developer of Info WorkPlace, JacanaForms and
> Jacana inTuator.  A suite of report writing, data extraction and
> presentation, and electronic forms solutions.  Please contact me privately
> off list if you are interested.
> <\sales mode off>
>
> (Sorry, I couldn't resist, it is my job <g>.)

And this is fine, too.  All within the rules of list membership.  Vendors
are expected to identify themselves as such.  I respect vendors who "mark"
their message as a sales pitch especially when it is a legitimate response
to a post.

Regards,
Dan