Hi All,

I just received the following article from AMR. It is very appropriate.  Due
to copyright issues I'll only quote a small piece of it.  You can access the
complete article at www.amr.com if you have a subscription.
________________________________

"Software Licensing and Maintenance: The Model Is Broken

The Issue: Application software buyers are moderately unhappy about the way
that vendors charge for the use of their products, but they are furious
about the cost to maintain those products and the policies that the vendors
have established for enhancements and upgrades.

Vendor policies endanger customer loyalty

As new customer sales opportunities have diminished the past few years, most
application vendors have turned their efforts to selling products and
services back into their installed base.  Ironically, while the vendors all
claim they are now committed to long-term partnerships with their clients,
they have developed licensing structures and maintenance policies that are
endangering the customer loyalty and relationships that they say they want."

The article is quite lengthy and detailed.  It concludes with
recommendations for buyers and venders.

Just thought everyone would like to know that "the grass is not always
greener on the other side of the fence."

Kevin Fox
kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx