From: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of LeLeux@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 12:07 PM
To: MAPICS ERP System Discussion
Subject: Re: From the Believe or Not Department at MAPICS...

Their pricing structures in situations like this are just another avenue

for Microsoft to exploit.
When you combine it with IBM's pricing practices it makes abandoning the

platform inevitable.

A few years from now we'll see Midrange software companies lining up to
sue Microsoft for
killing their goose that laid the gilt-tiered egg!

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good things about MAPICS & IBM, but

there's also the point of diminishing returns......

"Joe Perrault" <JRPERRAULT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mapics-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/12/2004 07:08 AM
Please respond to
MAPICS ERP System Discussion <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"MAPICS ERP System Discussion" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
>From the Believe or Not Department at MAPICS...

Here's a laugh I though I would share with the group:

We have been a MAPICS user for 24+ years, currently on release 6.  Our
iSeries box is an 820-2395-1523 (120 interactive CPW - 370 total CPW).
We
are on tier pricing with MAPICS and have about 70 concurrent users.  We
do
some other things on the box outside of MAPICS.

IBM is currently offering some very good upgrade prices on an 820 to 810

upgrade.  This upgrade would do several things for us including -
Triple
the performance to 1070 CPW with no interactive limit as well as lower
the
IBM software tier from P20 to P10 thus saving us about $7,000 per year
in
software support and maintenance.  For an initial investment of
$50K-$60K
the ROI looks very good not even considering the performance boost.

Here is where it gets funny.  I spoke to the troll under the bridge, I
mean MAPICS, and asked if there would be any charge from them, hoping
that
the may have indexed their performance tiers at least once since 1978.
Here are the options they gave me:

Convert Tier to Tier all current modules to the new machine $1.7M (yes
that is an M and would be about $24,000 per user) or convert to
concurrent
user lisence for $130K.  They also proposed a much lower cost option to
convert to concurrent users with the MAPICS Essentials package and I am
sure there is some value in getting those modules we don't already have
but never the less it has probably sunk the deal.  What was a relative
no
brainer $50K decision turns into a $120K plus major capital decision on
our part.

Joe Perrault