Well, I have to put in my "counterpoint" to Konrad.

>  MAPICS IS a good solid product.  Software is a manufacturered product,
just like the campers we build.  Yes, we are at PTF 4600+ in R6.  However,
that is also covering many applications and millions of lines of code.
With regards to the client, we also use EPDM, at rev level 33.  We keep
current on Rev levels, and most of the rev levels we apply are to handle
specific situations that are caused by changes to the system elsewhere.
Incidentally, we had no problems deleting at rev 32.  We have been running
our business very successfully on MAPICS since 1987, and have grown from a
$20 million/year business to a multi-line $120 million/year business.  And
I can honestly say MAPICS covers every facet of the business except for our
marketing programs and the maintenance department.

>  I have noticed a lot of continual updates over the years.  EPDM is an
excellent example.  I think it was an excellent evolution of PDM, providing
the capability of handling multiple sites with different bills of material
and routings, which can cover different business divisions and production
facilities.  And yet you can have easy maintenance with a very powerful
tool.   Browser and EPDM has allowed our company to add an entirely new and
different product line while we were expanding our standard product line,
and at the same time reduce clerical workforce for Engineering records from
2.5 people to 1.5 people.  Another example is the FREE offline shipping
enhancement, allowing for an extreme reduction in clerical workload in the
shipping department.  Implementation of that enhancement reduced clerical
workforce from 4 to 2, and enabled new procedures in our shipping
department that last year allowed us to ship 30% more parts with 33% fewer
parts pickers.  And I can go on with other examples (and I will in my
session at the conference!)

I also disagree on R7 being dead in the water.  Last year, it was stated
that R7 is a technology release.  It's certainly taking longer than I had
hoped for (and than I would bet MAPICS expected), but it is certainly a key
portion of my project schedule.  Browser on the factory floor, using thin
clients, is going to have a major impact on the efficiency of my production
departments in reduction in paperwork.  My project list descripion for the
next 3 years is over 10 pages, and a lot of it is dependant on R7.

>  I still think that MAPICS' response team and support is excellent.
e:Info is a fantastic tool.  I can personally say that probably 90% of my
problems are resolved through "No Wait Response" immediately, with
instructions on downloads or fixes to files.  A prime example is a problem
I had a couple months ago when I had a power blink, causing a session to
crash during month-end.  The full recovery procedure was laid out in No
Wait Response, and I was running normally in 15 minutes.  On a Sunday
afternoon.  And when I need to discuss situations (non-critical) with
someone knowledgable with an application, I have consistently found the
people on the other end of the phone to be very helpful, understanding both
the software and business needs.  Yes, I pay a lot in ALFs, and while I
wince every year when I approve the invoice, I have to say that I feel
strongly that my company is getting our money's worth.  I guess a lot of
that depends on whether your company is continuing to push improvements in
procedures and techniques, which allows you to take advantage of the
development that is happening.

Yes, MAPICS has laid off people in development, and while I don't like
hearing about that, it is a trend in the industry.  I don't know how well
this trend will work out - I personally question remote development as a
long term strategy, just as I questioned moving some manufacturing to lower
labor cost nations.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  That's a
case of basic economics - supply and demand and cost.  The Internet has
certainly enabled a lot of this, so I guess we in the technology field have
brought this demon on ourselves.  Would I go back?  Heck no!  I'll take 2
minute downloads of fixes from support.mapics.com anyday over FedEx'ed
diskettes (going back to the S/36 MAPICS II days).

MAPICS II was a good, solid product.  It worked very well for us through
the later part of the 1980s.  However, MAPICS/XA is a better, much more
robust product that takes advantage of changes in technology and the
business environment, and works well for is in the 2000s.

======================

Upgrades from one system to another are always tough.  However, I would
rather step my way up from MAPICS II to XA than go to a completely
different system.  At least the databases will be compatible!  The users
will probably have an easier time also, as a lot of the green screen
applications (which will keep things running!) will be familiar enough to
them to really assist them in the transition.  Basic manufacturing and
accounting requirements haven't changed much in the last 20 years, we just
have better tools available, if we want to use them.

Hmmmm - that went on longer than I had expected.  Sorry about the soapbox!
And I don't work for MAPICS....

                      Konrad Underkofler

                      <kdunderk@xxxxxxxx        To:       "'MAPICS ERP System
Discussion'" <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      i.com>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  RE: RE: Mapics data
extract
                      mapics-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      03/28/2003 08:49

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      MAPICS ERP System

                      Discussion

Oh well, I just have to Paola...

> It is a good solid product
  PTF 4600+ and counting. R7 dead in water. We just had to download Rev 33
of the client so we could delete an item in EPDM! This is a product that
has
been out for several years, how can it not delete items?

> and is continually being updated as business needs change.
  I think I missed that. COM needs a complete rethink and rewrite. The last
real MAPICS app was REP done back in 90 or 91? Otherwise the functionality
is the same as it was this past decade. Most of the goodness resides in the
Mfg area, but flexibility is not included.

> On the other hand, with MAPICS you have a full customer support team to
help guide you through problems, training, and issues.  So even though you
have employees coming and going over the years, you still have the support
team at MAPICS to help support your users.

If they have not been laid off yet. MAPICS XA is clearly not MAPICS Inc
strategic application set anymore following years of effort, all
semi-successful to get off green screen AS/400 and its associated costs. I
believe most MAPICS development is being done in India now.

So, in answer to the data extract question.

1) Whatever version of MAPICS you have is probably just like the current
one
in function with the exception of COM replacing OEI. My advice stick with
it. Depending on what release you are on, the upgrade path may be brutal.
In
any case the older versions (ie pre COM) are good efficient machine users
and do not require outlandish CPW ratings to function.

2) Extracting data is more practical if you just get the customer and items
(ie CUSMAS and ITEMAS) and then cut over and start again. Run the existing
system till all transactions have cleared while bringing up the new one
merging the results on paper.

3) Custom programs are far easier now than they used to be if you
requirements don't fit MAPICS well. You will easily spend enough in license
fees, upgrades, mods, consulting to make the custom solution doable in a
lot
of cases.

Regards

Konrad