Asok,

Thank you for setting the record straight and your verbal reprimand for the
incorrect assumptions I made.  Please accept my apology for the
misunderstanding.  Your original email made it sound like you were a developer
trying to find a quick easy way to pull data out of a potential customer's
database for which you were being hired to convert to custom programming.  When
I checked your website it just supported my original assumption.  I'm not too
proud to admit I made a mistake.

It sounds like the company you acquired is on the MAPICS DB pre-1990
applications.  Actually those files are relatively simple to understand.
However, to my knowledge there is not a tool available to convert that data to
any other database except MAPICS XA (next level up from DB).  Even so,
depending on which release of DB you are on, it might be better to write some
programs to get the code converted more quickly to the latest MAPICS XA code.
It depends on whether there was any customizing of the DB code, what release
the data is currently at (there have been thousands of changes to the database
between DB and XA)and the knowledge your developers have.  Your affiliate is a
good place to start.  There are also consultants for hire that have lots of
experience in coding, training, and running an upgrade project.

It has been my experience that custom programs cost lots of money to develop
and maintain.  On the other hand, with MAPICS you have a full customer support
team to help guide you through problems, training, and issues.  So even though
you have employees coming and going over the years, you still have the support
team at MAPICS to help support your users.  On top of that there is the MAPICS
development team constantly making improvements to the code, providing needed
enhancements to their customers.  So upgrading to a newer level of MAPICS gets
you more than the software, but a whole host of people supporting your company
along the way, now and in the future.

As you can tell, I'm very pro MAPICS.  It is a good solid product and is
continually being updated as business needs change.  Again, please accept my
apology and I hope you decide to stay with the MAPICS products.

Sincerely,
Paola Groeber
MAPICS Consultant
770-591-1497 (home after 4:30pm)